Monday, September 25, 2006

The Sit-Down Dinner

I wrote this after reading this post on Alpha Mom.





Otherwise known as "the family dinner", where each member of the family is actually seated around a table and eating their food while looking at and/or talking to each other. I did not grow up with dinners like that. I grew up with dinners much more similar to those of a seagull, scavenging through our fridge for anything edible and if it wasn't there, I would infiltrate the neighbors'.




Although seagull dinners have given me a great wealth of fond childhood memories to look back on, I decided to change things up a bit with my own children. We actually sit down together almost every single night, although it only lasts about 10 minutes before the kids are off and running again and often it is not a relaxing or enjoyable experience.


My favorite way to eat dinner is to feed the kids before Donn comes home. Then when he comes home we can eat a nice quiet dinner for two and afterwards do the baths and bedtime stories. I'm sure when the kids get older and stop talking about poop at the table or doing jumping jacks while we're eating, it will be good to eat together every night. Honestly, I don't think it matters that much either way.

3 comments:

April said...

To this day my mother insists we eat at the table. I also read an article this morning in the ny times about how a mother's eating habits have a lot of influence over a daughter's. And if you actually believe it, chances are it may be true for you. I guess everybody has their opinion.

Jessi Louise said...

It never was really important in my family, but for some reason I think food just tastes better at the table.

Lou said...

when I was at the hairdresser a few days ago, she served me tea in a gorgeous china cup with saucer. She said, "Tea just tastes better in a china cup." And I think it does.