Saturday, September 30, 2006

The stubborn south

Dylann and Jack have a lot of friends in the neighborhood and there were about 6 kids over in the yard playing with them today. One little girl came over and needed to use the bathroom, but before she went in, she stopped and asked "Do you allow black people in your house?" I was caught off guard by the question, which she asked so simply. It made me sad to think about what had occurred to prompt her to ask that question. I later found out from her and her brother and sister that there are certain white families in the neighborhood whose houses they are not allowed to play at.
I had picked up on some subtle racism from some of our neighbors, but I couldn't imagine that people would actually be so blatant about it. I mean, what year is this? Haven't we moved forward yet?

5 comments:

April said...

That is so sad. I spent all morning reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and am almsot finsihed now. The book was written in the mid 1800's...a lot has changed, but old ideas like that really die hard.

Jessi Louise said...

That surprised me when we moved down here. I guess not coming from the south I was naive to the way things are.

TaterTot said...

To put it bluntly, NO we haven't. There is a long way to go.

Jenny said...

Uncle Tom's Cabin is what I'm reading! Too odd. I was taken aback by your account.

Samilja said...

(formerly Mama Pajama) It's pathetic really. I'm glad those kids have people like you in their neighborhood. Maybe they will at least understand that despite the ignorant ugliness that still persists, some people don't even begin to think such things. Meanwhile, you will teach your boys well and they will be two in a new generation that will hopefully further tolerance.