Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Goodbye Georgia

Lately I've been so nostalgic and sentimental, I may have been at risk of buying some kind of cutesy figurine at Hallmark just to remember how sentimental I was feeling. Then I could look back on that time fondly. With nostalgia. That word sounds like a tumor. I have a nostalgic growth in my left temporal lobe.

As we're about to leave one place for the next, I gain a new appreciation for all of the areas that are part of our daily lives. Suddenly everything seems like it's already part of a memory and I know I'll miss it in some way. This was our home in 2006, when Donn was between deployments for a year, and for most of 2008. Regardless of our dislike for the city we lived in and even sometimes this whole area, our lives happened here during that time and without noticing, we settled in.

I wandered around the empty house this morning before we turned over our keys. With all traces us of us having lived there completely gone it was a blank slate, ready for someone else to drag all of their boxes and beds into and mess up like home. Even though I'm excited about moving on, I felt like I wanted to leave our mark in some way...as proof that we actually lived here in the cute little house in Georgia with big closets, a fireplace we never used, and a crappy backyard. Instead of leaving something behind, we're taking the pictures and memories with us. And if that's not enough, I've made a short list.

Some of the things I will miss about this area:

- Living so close to beaches with white sand and dolphins

- Being near Savannah

- Hearing my name pronounced with 3 syllables. Who knew Jessi was actually supposed to be JAY-eh-SAY? Not me, that's who.

- Palm trees

- Biscuits and gravy - although it looks gross, it's not! Creamy, lumpy, biscuity.

- Weather that is mild and lovely from October - May.

- Driving by old dilapitated, tin-roof houses. They make me want to sit on a porch, drinking tea out of a jar and swatting at flies.

- Hearing the tree frogs and crickets so loud through our open windows at night, it sounds like we live in a rainforest.

I wish I had some pictures to include, but my hard drive is packed away and we're living out of a suitcase for the foreseeable future.

On Friday we will be in England!

1 comment:

Aunt Becky said...

Awww! I'd be nostalgic, too.