Thursday, October 16, 2008

Some of my favorite books have pictures

I know I mentioned before that I love children's books. It's taken me about 2 months to put together a post about it...and here it is! Over the summer we went to the library once a week and I let the boys pick out 4 books each. As they ran off to the non-fiction section to get books about kung-fu and tarantalas, I went through the picture books to find some stories that I might not mind reading over and over. Most of the time I went over my own limit I had set for the number of books we brought home. I lack self-control in the library. When I was a kid my mom set no limits to the number of books I checked out and I can remember checking out 37 one time. Then we lost a few and my mom didn't want to pay the fee, so that was the last trip to the library until I was in high school. Good times.

I wanted to share a few of our favorites. These are Dylann's favorites (excluding all those starring pokemon characters or sports teams):


Beegu - A story about a little yellow alien who lands on earth and discovers she doesn't fit in anywhere. It's a little sad, but all is okay in the end. I love the artwork and I actually made Dylann a stuffed version of Beegu with bright yellow polar fleece because I am Hattie Housewife.






Tikki Tikki Tembo - This is a retelling of an old Chinese folktale about two brothers and the trouble they get into. They have a crabby mother who plays favorites with her oldest son whose name is Tikki-Tikki-Tembo-No-Sa-Rembo-Chari-Bari-Ruchi-Pip-Peri-Pembo. The best character is the old man who spends all his time daydreaming under a tree with a ladder. That's my retirement plan.






In the Night Kitchen - A Maurice Sendak classic. A little boy wakes in the night to discover all the action that goes on in the kitchen while everyone is asleep. I never get tired of reading this story. The illustrations are comforting like a big mug of hot chocolate on a cold day. It's not too long or too short and it's also the first book Dylann ever read completely on his own.








And Jack's favorites (excluding the ones about bats and bugs and ninjas):

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! - This book is really fun to read. The main character is an insistent pigeon asking the reader to let him drive the bus in a typical desperate, repetitive preschooler fashion. I like to give the pigeon a New Jersey accent.








Haunted House - A pop-up book that we read over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. But it's short, so that's okay. Also, the pop-ups are really cool.









The Ghost of Sifty-Sifty Sam - This story has a southern flavor. It's like Paula Deen, ya'll. The story is about an old haunted house that a realtor wants to get off his hands. He decides to pay anyone who will spend the night in the house $5,000. The man who takes on the challenge is a chef who specializes in crispy, delicious batter-dipped fish. I will say no more!







And a couple more good ones:

The Day the Babies Crawled Away - A cute story about a little boy who rescues a group of babies that crawl off into the woods during a neighborhood picnic. The text is sing songy and repetitive, but I don't mind that in this story. The illustrations are unique with black silhouettes of the characters on a backdrop of bright colors. It's a great bedtime story because it wraps up with the little boy all wore out and tucked in at the end of the day. I need a nap.








Galimoto - This story takes place in a village in Africa. It's about a boy who is determined to collect everything he needs to make a galimoto, which is a little push car. The kids in the story make all their toys out of discarded junk like plastic bags and old wires. I make the boys read this story every time they complain about cleaning up their 500 toys off the floor. Ok, I don't, but I love the way this book highlights the creativity kids have even in the most simple living situations.





And that's how we roll. Reading Rainbow style.



Have any childhood favorites or other good ones to recommend?

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh Man, Tikki Tikki Tembo brings back a lot of childhood memories!
Great list of books! I am always looking for great books to read to my kid. Tonight we read, "A Day at the Beach With My Dad,"
by Lance Waite and since it was the last of our library books to read, I am planning to go to the library tomorrow to see if I can find a few of the books on your list. Thanks for list of great books!

Becky said...

Sorry just looked at the book and noticed that I had written the title to the book wrong... It is "A Day With My Dad At the Beach," instead of "A Day At the Beach with My Dad." Sorry for the confusion.

cameo said...

okay, first off, going to the library is like getting to go shopping for free! it just simply rocks!
i have two favorite books - the velveteen rabbit, and oh the places you'll go!
oo-oo-oo i also love a book called dandy lion.
so, there you go. thanks for the offerings of kids books. i think we may just have to go to the library and get a couple.
iornically, i owe fines!!!
and just to let you know, i kind of miss you when you disappear for weeks on end.
a happy surprise to see you back!
i'm just sayin!

Jessi Louise said...

Becky - Hope you like them! We haven't read A Day With my Dad at the Beach, but we'll have to check it out. I hope we have a good local library in England.

Cameo - I haven't read The Velveteen Rabbit in about 20 years, but it was definitely one of my favorites. I'm going to have to track that one down. And we haven't read Oh the Places You'll Go or Dandy Lion...more for the list!

I know I haven't been posting very regularly, but I hope to have more time on my hands when this move is over with. Thanks for sticking around!

Jenny said...

I loooove Tikki Tikki Tembo and we just discovered the Night Kitchen. You should check out "The Seven Silly Eaters" great illustrations.

Carl said...

How nice!! My kids too love this "Tikki Tikki Tembo"!!