Monday, April 20, 2009

But I'm not a fan of pastel pink...

Hello again! Here I am more than one month later writing another post here...to myself. We found out about 2 weeks ago that our little pea in a pod is a girl....a girl! A girl?? A girl.

I wanted a girl...or a boy, actually. Either one. But it's strange having been a mom to only boys for the past 7 years, I feel unprepared. I imagined myself with 3 boys so I could keep referring to my kids as "the boys" and pass on their faded, worn-out clothes to the next in line. Having a girl seems a little bit scary. I was kind of a tomboy growing up. I liked bugs and animals and playing baseball, even though I was no good at it. I'm not a fan of the color pink. I don't want to buy stuff that says princess on it. Is that sexist of me to assume that she will even like that stuff? She probably won't. She'll be just like me and want to play baseball. But then she'll turn into a scary, unstable teenager and join the army and leave.

Jack said he didn't want a little sister because he doesn't want any Bratz dolls in the house. I told him she might not like Bratz dolls (lord, I hope not - why don't they just call them hoochie mamas?), but he doesn't seem to believe me.

It still seems unbelievable that I'm pregnant with a girl. Why do I feel so different about it than with the boys? I feel like I'm pregnant for the first time all over again, not knowing what to expect. A girl....a girl? A girl!

Updated - 5 May 2009 - I've been thinking about this and I think the main reason I feel weird about having a girl is because of the way everyone reacts like I'm finally getting what I've been waiting for! Like having a girl is going to be somehow more fun for me than having a boy. Or how people would ask if we were going to "try for a girl" like we wouldn't really want another boy. We knew we wanted another baby, and the rest didn't matter! I guess I'm just defensive about the subject. I love my rowdy boys and I don't want them to feel like I was any less excited about my pregnancies with them.

2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Hooray for GIRLS! I love having a daughter even more than I thought I would.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Write more on here whydontcha?

April